Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Swan song

Today was my last full day in Hawaii, and I headed up to a part of Oahu where I hadn't paddled yet: Kaneohe Bay, over on the east side.  Even though the surf was reportedly quite rough elsewhere on the island, Kaneohe Bay was quite calm.

I put in at a park near the junction of highways 83 and 803, and paddled toward Mokoli'i Island, the little bit of rock just right of my bow:


This island is nicknamed "Chinaman's Hat" for its resemblance of one of those ubiquitous straw hats worn in eastern Asia.

The water was starting to get rough with many breaking waves, so I turned toward shore and did some surfing.  Once I ran out of room I began the journey back to my putin.  Elapsed time in the boat was just over 80 minutes.  I believe Oahu has some of the most dramatic shoreline I have visited:


I took the boat back to Zsolt this afternoon.  I was sorry to have done my last paddling here, but it was a relief to return the boat undamaged.

Tomorrow I fly out of Honolulu International at about 1:30 local time.  I'm scheduled to arrive in Memphis Thursday morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment