Friday, July 8, 2016

"A healthy life is a good life"

These days the Internet and other mass media are bursting at the seams with "healthy living" advice, and as an athlete I'm tempted to dismiss it all as irrelevant to me, as intended for a more sedentary audience.  But every now and then something does get my attention.  Every Wednesday my local public radio station runs a brief "healthy living" segment with Sheila Harrell of the Church Health Center, and this week she presented us with a list of statements that each of us is supposed to evaluate with "Strongly agree/Agree/Not sure/Disagree/Strongly disagree."

  • I don’t usually rush from one commitment to another.
  • I take care of myself as well as others.
  • I nourish myself with a well balanced diet.
  • My home and workspace are organized.
  • I feel positive most of the time.
  • I spend more time doing what I want than what I should.
  • I use my annual vacation time.
  • I get adequate sleep.
  • I have at least one strong relationship with someone who supports me.
  • I don’t smoke, drink to excess, or have any other addictive behaviors.
  • I take at least 15 minutes daily to do something I enjoy.
  • I have a hobby.
I can "strongly agree" with the majority of these statements--after all, I'm an athlete and keeping myself healthy is more than just a casual endeavor--but there are a couple that I could do better on, and that's why this particular radio segment got my attention.

No comments:

Post a Comment