Tuesday, July 5, 2016

Unexpected variety on the riverfront

The weather report on the radio yesterday morning made it sound like a typical July day--hot and humid--but it wasn't until I got down to the river that I realized how windy it was.  I'd planned to do a two-hour paddle and was counting on a long grind, but instead I spent the first hour enjoying some Memphis-style downwind action out on the Mississippi between the mouth of the harbor and the Hernando DeSoto Bridge.  I wasn't getting any long, sweet rides, but I had fun catching all kinds of bumps for a few seconds at a time.  I got plenty wet, with waves crashing into my bucket and footwell, and along with the south breeze that kept me cool.  There aren't but a couple of months each year when I actually enjoy getting drenched while paddling, and that time has arrived.

At the end of the first hour I went back into the harbor and paddled steady to the north end and then back down to the dock.  This was more the "grind" I'd been expecting.  I was tired from the downwind stuff, and also from the strength exercises I'd done on the dock before getting in the boat.  I did two sets of pushups and two sets of the core exercise I'd learned from the Lรจa Jamelot video on Face Book--in other words, I did the two exercises from this month's strength routine that require no equipment.

When I'm paddling tired like that, I focus hard on maintaining good stroke form.  The hope is that in the late stages of a race when fatigue has set in, I'll still be taking good strokes.

After yesterday's endeavors I was tired in the boat today.  Joe and I paddled an easy-to-medium pace in the harbor for 80 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment