Monday, July 18, 2016

Tough days

After Thursday night's hammering high-stroke-rate affair, I went out Saturday to do a steady 90-minute paddle and smooth my strokes back out.  On my way out of the harbor I saw my friends Joe and Carol Lee coming back in, so I turned around and accompanied them back to the dock.  After that I was good and warmed up, and I did three of my backpaddling-then-forward-paddling power-building drills.  I went out on the river and paddled mostly at a moderate pace but threw in a few strong surges.

July is now more than half over, and I guess that's encouraging.  It appears we have a tough week ahead here in the Mid South, with triple-digit Fahrenheit temperatures possible later in the week.  This morning I did a round of the current strength routine and then went down to the river hoping the heat wasn't too bad yet.  I warmed up for fifteen minutes and did three 8-stroke sprints, and then started my workout.  I intended to do four one-mile pieces, maintaining 6.5 miles per hour for the first half of each and 7.0 mph for the second half of each.  For recovery in between, I planned to paddle for a half-mile at 6.0 mph.

That was the plan.  But by the time I'd finished the second one the heat was really taking its toll.  During each recovery interval I hopped in the water and remounted with the hope that that would help, and it did somewhat, but not enough.  I was beginning to worry about my safety out there and so I ended the workout after just three pieces.

Maybe I need to consider paddling earlier in the morning, or in the evening... I'll have to think about that.  The late morning has always suited me, but under the current conditions I may have to take more precautions than I'm used to.

No comments:

Post a Comment