Sunday, July 24, 2016

A not-so-unbearable weekend

We've gotten a reprieve from the oppressive heat this weekend.  Though it's still quite warm and steamy, overcast skies and some scattered showers have toned down the withering heat that beat down on us for most of the week.

Yesterday I did a steady 80-minute paddle in the harbor and on the river that included some long surges.  Today I had a late-morning commitment that allowed me time to paddle for an hour.  After warming up for ten minutes and doing three 8-stroke sprints, I switched on the G.P.S. device and started a set of intervals where I maintained 6.0 miles per hour for a quarter-mile, 6.5 mph for the next quarter-mile, 7.0 mph for the next quarter-mile, back to 6.0 mph for the next quarter-mile, and so on.  I did this until I reached the 50-minute mark and then spent the last ten minutes cooling down.  I completed six cycles in the space of about 37 minutes.

While being as careful as I can to avoid water intoxication, I have nudged up my water consumption throughout the day while this hot summer drags on.  Normally every day I have a glass of water before breakfast, a glass with breakfast, a glass after breakfast, a glass with lunch... I stick to a pretty predictable routine, in other words (I'm stubbornly set in my ways, to put it another way).  So I'm well aware of what my "normal" consumption is and I can easily incorporate an extra glass here and there.

No comments:

Post a Comment