Wednesday, August 3, 2016

Almost ready to travel

This morning I went downtown and paddled on the Memphis riverfront for the last time before I leave on this road trip.  I kept the session short--40 minutes--because of the heat as much as anything else.  It was already 90 degrees Fahrenheit when I got down there, and the radio was predicting a heat index of around 110 today.  Wanting to arrive at Fontana Reservoir Saturday feeling rested and ready to go, I didn't need to sit out there and slow-cook under the blazing sun any longer than I had to.  I know how it must feel to be food under those heat lamps at Luby's Cafeteria.

I did eight 12-stroke sprints with full recovery in between.  The main objective is of such a workout is to work my ATP-CP energy system, but it's also simple practice paddling as hard as I can.  I'm more of an endurance athlete than a speedy, powerful, fast-twitch sort of athlete, but at least I can practice the skill of taking precise, controlled strokes at a high rate.

No comments:

Post a Comment