Monday, August 22, 2016

Monday photo feature


I always try to promote paddling as an excellent fitness tool and a great way to spend time outdoors.  Too often I'm doubtful about the message getting through, but here's a guy who's been genuinely inspired by my example, and that's very humbling for me.

I met my friend Rob back in 1992 when we both taught at a school in Mamaroneck, New York.  I don't think he'd ever paddled at that point, but when he found out I was a paddler he wanted to learn more.  During that school year we took a couple of trips to easy rivers together--the Housatonic in Connecticut and the Delaware on the New York-Pennsylvania border.

I moved down South after that school year, and Rob decided to move out West for several years.  I visited him out there a couple of times, and he watched me race slalom around Colorado one summer. After every run I took Rob was full of enthusiastic questions and comments about the various things that had happened.

Eventually Rob moved back to New York to pursue a career as a chiropractor, and he made up his mind to incorporate some paddling into his personal fitness routine.  He now has a lake across the road from his home in Dutchess County, and whenever he can he paddles, both for exercise and to gaze at the blue sky or the full moon.

I took the photo above last week when we spent an afternoon paddling on the Hudson River at Peekskill.  I enjoyed paddling with a friend who saw something special in the sport just like I had.

No comments:

Post a Comment