Thursday, August 18, 2016

Pain in the neck

I woke up this morning with fairly severe soreness and stiffness in my neck.  I'm pretty sure it's the result of sleeping on it wrong or something like that.  Rob worked on it a little bit this morning and I think it's loosened up a little, but it's been uncomfortable all day long.

It's not the sort of thing that impedes paddling, though, and I decided to go back to the Hudson one more time.  This time I found an access at the town of Beacon, just across the river from Newburgh.  After warming up and doing three 8-stroke sprints, I commenced a pace workout: eight three-minute pieces with three minutes recovery in between.  I aimed for something just above race pace for each piece.  My remaining races this season are September 3 on the Mississippi at Baton Rouge (13 miles or 21 kilometers) and September 17 on Barnett Reservoir outside Jackson, Mississippi (5.5 mi. or 9 km).

The Hudson enters a constricted course through the Hudson Highlands just below Newburgh and Beacon.  Yesterday Rob and I paddled where the river opens up again from this constricted course, at Peekskill.

No comments:

Post a Comment