Monday, August 1, 2016

Racing will heat up again soon

I've continued to have less-than-perfect nights of sleep both Saturday night and last night.  I hope this isn't the start of some prolonged pattern of insomnia.  My mother suggested that maybe my upcoming long road trip is weighing on my mind, and at first I didn't buy that, but now that my departure is just three days off I think maybe she was right.  I'm feeling like time is running out for me to tie up all the many loose ends before I leave.

I felt a little bit more rested this morning than I'd felt the previous couple of mornings.  I went downtown and paddled for 60 minutes, doing three 8-stroke sprints in the harbor and a few good surges out on the river.  The Fahrenheit temperature is moving back up into the high 90s this week, and the sun sure was beating down today, so I paddled up to the Hernando DeSoto Bridge and ferried back and forth across the river in its shade.

The prevailing wind was from the south, as it typically is in the summertime here.  That means when I return to the harbor and paddle the 2000 meters or so back to the dock, I've got the wind at my back and the heat is oppressive indeed.  Today I cooled off in that stretch with a bit of re-mount practice.

No comments:

Post a Comment