Friday, March 23, 2018

Getting back down to business

I spent Saturday night in Ocean Springs, and Sunday morning I went down to the "East Beach" section of the waterfront to do a 60-minute paddle.  A dense fog hung over the seascape and I made sure to keep the shoreline in sight.  I paddled along this piece of Mississippi Sound to the entrance to the Back Bay of Biloxi, under the U.S. 90 bridge, around the rotating section of the railroad bridge, and back to where I'd parked at East Beach.

I drove through a few masses of rain and got home about 6:00 PM CDT.  I spent the next couple of days getting back into the routine, doing the strength routine on Monday and paddling with Joe on Tuesday.  The weather was warm and sunny Monday but breezy, overcast, drizzly, and chilly on Tuesday.

On Wednesday I stayed in and did another round of the strength routine.  By Thursday the weather was still cool but nice and sunny again as I put my boat in the water.  I warmed up and did three 8-stroke sprints and then paddled a decent tempo out on the river.  The river is dropping fast now: it was down to 24.6 feet on the Memphis gauge Thursday morning.  Places like the Greenbelt Park are no longer flooded.

I woke up this morning stiff and sore in my upper back, right in the middle between the shoulder blades.  It's similar to some discomfort I dealt with four years ago that lasted for months.  I can't think of anything I did to cause it other than maybe sleeping on it wrong, but I hope this won't be a long-lasting ailment.  I was very tempted to skip the strength routine today but I sucked it up and got that done, and I think I'm feeling slightly better as a result.  At least the area is warmed up.

No comments:

Post a Comment