Sunday, March 11, 2018

Time to rest a little

By yesterday morning the Mississippi had dropped almost two tenths of a foot from its crest, but it was still plenty high.  I got in the boat and warmed up and did three 8-stroke sprints and headed out of the harbor and up the river.

The flooded portion of the Greenbelt Park is mostly slack and I figured it was a good place to do my workout.  I did ten 30-second sprints at three-minute intervals.  By the time I'd finished the seventh sprint I was at the north end of the Greenbelt Park, so I did the last three coming back down the river.

My arms and shoulders felt tired during yesterday's paddle.  Even though I've gotten over the soreness of the current strength routine, I think it's a bit more taxing than the average routine I put together.

Now, with my first race of the season coming up next weekend, I'm hoping to get some rest this week.  That means I'll be dialing down the volume a little bit, but I'll be doing a few extra short sprints because I want to be not just rested but also sharp.  Today I paddled for 50 minutes, and did six 12-stroke sprints at two-minute intervals.  At times like this I lengthen the sprints from eight strokes to twelve with the hope of getting in a few more smooth strokes once the boat is up to speed.

I'll do similar stuff as the coming week moves along.  I plan to do strength work tomorrow and Wednesday but not Friday.

No comments:

Post a Comment