Friday, March 2, 2018

So. Much. Water.

More heavy rain moved into the greater Memphis area this week, but I managed to schedule my paddling around it.  The deluge hadn't arrived yet when Joe and I met for our loop of the harbor Tuesday morning; as a matter of fact, it was still sunny and beautiful.  It's always satisfying to seize the best part of the day.

It rained and rained and rained on Wednesday to close out an incredibly wet month of February.  I stayed in and started a new strength routine.  That meant I was sore yesterday when I returned to the riverfront.  But at least the rain had stopped.  And the water was way up: it was 34.6 feet on the Memphis gauge when I put in.  After warming up and doing three 8-stroke sprints I ferried across the river to avail myself of some of the vast paddleable real estate that high water offers.  On the Arkansas side directly across from downtown Memphis there's an expanse of bottomland that now contains part of the new "Big River Crossing" network of trails.  The trails were established with pedestrians and cyclists in mind, but right now they are the domain of paddlers.

Today it was cool but bright and sunny.  I did the new strength routine again.  It appears that a lovely weekend is in store.

No comments:

Post a Comment