Friday, August 31, 2018

Mental fatigue

While it hasn't been as hot here this week as it sometimes gets in August, I'm feeling a bit sandbagged by the humidity.  Motivation has been an issue.  Getting in my boat and paddling isn't a problem--that continues to be the most satisfying thing I do on any given day--but making myself do any kind of high-intensity work has been tough.  The cancellation of the September races I'd been planning to do hasn't helped.  My workouts may be of the "play" variety for the rest of this season.

Tuesday was a good "play" workout day, as there were two barge rigs moving past downtown Memphis when I got to the mouth of the harbor.  The upstream-bound rig was putting out the better surfing waves and I got several decent rides behind it.  The one going downriver was just churning up the water into a swirly mess that didn't do much more than pitch me around.

Yesterday I warmed up and did three 8-stroke sprints in the harbor.  When I got to the main Mississippi I found it barge-free, so I just paddled at a medium-hard pace for the rest of the hour.

I did rounds of the strength routine on Monday, Wednesday, and today this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment