Sunday, November 24, 2019

A weekend to feel good about

It rained all day Friday.  By yesterday morning the Internet radar showed that it had mostly moved out, but a stubborn drizzle lingered for most of the day.  When I got to the river yesterday morning it was overcast with a temperature in the mid 40s Fahrenheit.

My plan was to paddle for 60 minutes and push the intensity during the half-hour from 0:15 to 0:45.  But I wanted it to be more than just a steady-state, metronomic tempo paddle.  So I varied the cadence, sometimes paddling at an unnaturally low stroke rate while exploding through each stroke.  I did the same sort of thing while one-sided paddling, focusing hard on making all the involved muscle groups fire as a single unit.  And then I did some ordinary surges, too.  It all added up to a pretty hard 30 minutes.  I was really feeling it in the last 10 minutes of this period, and my "explosive" strokes seemed to get less and less explosive.  I tried to keep paddling as precisely as possible and not get sloppy.

It was about 34 degrees when I got up this morning, but I was pleased to see clear skies.  By the time I got down to the river around 10 AM, it had warmed up into the mid 40s.  Having done a little workout yesterday, I was looking forward to paddling a relaxed pace and savoring the nice day.  I paddled for 80 minutes, and though it was mostly a fun relaxed session, I did push the pace at times.  What can I say?  I like paddling hard, especially when I'm feeling good, and I'm happy to say that I am feeling good right now.


For more information on what this blog is about, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment