Saturday, November 9, 2019

Back in motion but not free of woes yet

I'm getting with it again, albeit slowly and carefully, as I'm still experiencing discomfort in my back and oblique areas.  It hasn't helped that this week I've had to make some repairs over at my rental property that involve a lot of bending over in a tight space.

I paddled for 60 minutes on Tuesday, keeping the intensity mostly moderate but throwing in a pretty good 5-to-10-minute surge in the last 20 minutes.  I did another 60 minutes today, keeping the intensity moderate and doing some stroke drills and similar technical work.

I did my new strength routine Tuesday and Thursday.  I'm hoping that the core exercises in the routine will have some rehab value.

As I've said before, I'm able to paddle with almost no discomfort, at least at low to medium intensity.  However, I believe that when you're an athlete training for something, your recovery time is every bit as important as the workouts you do, so I shouldn't disregard the value of feeling good when I'm out of the boat as well as when I'm in it.  My inference is that if I'm feeling less than entirely happy and comfortable, my recovery won't be as complete.

Even though my recent sessions with the chiropractor didn't deliver the quick relief I'd hoped for, I probably should give that therapy several more chances.  It took quite a few sessions to get that plantar fasciitis under control last year, after all.  My mother has suggested seeing an orthopedist, but I'm afraid I don't have a lot of faith in those doctors in the case of low-grade nagging aches and pains like this.  If I had something that definitely required surgery, like a torn ACL or rotator cuff, then I'd absolutely see an orthopedist--surgery is what those folks know how to do.  But every time I've consulted one for a sore back or some inflamed soft tissue or some such thing, I've come away disappointed.

Whatever happens, I want to keep moving, putting one foot in front of the other, taking it all one paddle stroke at a time.

Pogies weather has returned.  I didn't wear them on Tuesday, and my hands stayed just warm enough on a breezy day of about 60 degrees Fahrenheit.  A big front came through on Wednesday and Thursday with frigid temperatures behind it.  We're having our first sub-freezing temperatures of the season overnight.  Today dawned around the freezing point, but by the time I got down to the river it had warmed up into the 40s with plenty of sunshine and just a light breeze from the south.  By most standards, it actually was a lovely day to paddle.  But I broke out the pogies.  When it's below 50 degrees, I need them.


For more information on what this blog is about, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment