Sunday, November 3, 2019

Healing

I'm not free of pain yet but I think I'm headed in the right direction.  One of the frustrating things about this ailment was that the pain affected a general area and was hard to pinpoint, but in recent days it has receded from all except a rear-left-side abdominal muscle.  I now wonder if this is the sort of "oblique" injury that's dreaded by pitchers in baseball.  Such injuries are notorious for the time they require to heal: whenever a pitcher on my favorite team gets one, the commentators always say "Oh, he'll be out a couple of months."

For several days last week I was proactive about doing some therapeutic stuff like stretching and soaking in the tub, and I think that helped.  Then, later in the week, I got very busy preparing for a work-related event on Saturday and these activities fell through the cracks.  I'm hoping my schedule will calm down again so I can get back into a routine of recovery sessions.

The good news is that unlike a pitcher, I can still go out and do my sport with this injury.  It doesn't seem to bother me in the boat, and I sense that the rotational motions of easy paddling have some therapeutic value.  Whether I can handle more intense paddling remains to be seen.  My tentative plan is to spend the coming month rebuilding some volume so I can spend December and January doing more serious prep for the South Africa trip.


For more information on what this blog is about, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment