Sunday, August 8, 2021

More strength and technique work

Friday was my gym day, and I did a round of my latest routine involving arm, leg, and abdominal exercises.

The past week had treated us to some cooler-than-normal weather for the month of August, but by yesterday the temperature and humidity were definitely creeping back up into the less-than-comfortable zone.  At least there was a pleasant breeze blowing down on the riverfront.  Yesterday's workout was eight 250-meter pieces at 84 strokes per minute with some added resistance on the boat.  I was to start a piece every fifth minute.

Maks described the session as "not a hard workout at all physically."  I thought, "Eight 250s with resistance?  Not hard physically?  Really?"  I had my doubts, but dutifully I commenced the assignment.  It turned out it wasn't all that bad, though I could definitely feel it in my muscles.  The main point was to focus on the various stroke mechanics and to involve my hips and legs.

This morning I rode my bike to the river and did a 75-minute endurance paddle with a stroke rate in the low 60s.  I felt tired in the boat and was glad to get it done, pedal back home, and head into a day off tomorrow.


For more information on what this blog is about, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment