Sunday, August 29, 2021

Paddling and sweating

On Friday I got in the boat and did another workout involving subtle changes in stroke rate.  It was six sets of (1 minute at 60 strokes per minute/1 min. at 64 spm/1 min. at 68 spm/1 min. at 72 spm/1 min. at 68 spm/1 min. at 64 spm/1 min. at 60 spm/2 min. rest).  The objective was to keep the stroke form and intensity consistent throughout the various rates.  My biggest challenge during a workout like this is concentration: it's so easy to get distracted out on the water.

Yesterday I did two sets of six all-out 15-second sprints at 4-minute intervals.  For the first set I had some extra weight in the boat, and then I removed it for the second set.  The idea was to feel the grip on the water promoted by the extra weight in the first set, and then search for that same sensation without the weight in the second set.  The workout was a reminder that I enjoy going fast even though it's both physically and technically hard to do so.

This morning I did five sets of (13 min. on/2 min. off) with stroke rates of 60, 64, 68, 64, and 60 spm.  The main difference between such a workout and a simple distance paddle?  Concentration.  Maintaining a particular stroke rate for 13 minutes takes concentration.  Those 2-minute rest intervals were mental breaks more than anything else.  One thing I find is that when I'm paying attention to my stroke rate I'm also paying attention to my stroke mechanics and my posture in the boat.

It's continued to be muggy and hot here this weekend, but we're in for a change in the weather shortly: the remnants of Hurricane Ida are expected to arrive up here sometime tomorrow.  Mostly, it'll mean a big bunch of rain for us.  I expect we'll have some gusty winds, but of course nothing like what our friends closer to the Gulf Coast are experiencing.


For more information on what this blog is about, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment