Sunday, March 3, 2024

Keep showing up

Friday sure was a bleak day.  The high temperature was around 55 degrees Fahrenheit, but an overcast sky made it feel a whole lot chillier than that.  I was happy to stay in and just do a gym session.

Yesterday's forecast called for mostly sunny skies, but it was as cloudy as it could be for several hours after I woke up, and I wondered whether the meteorologists were telling us a big fat lie.  But the sun finally started peeking through as I headed down to the river, and by the end of my 90-minute paddle it was indeed mostly (if not completely) sunny.  The temperature was headed toward a high in the mid 60s.

The race down at Ocean Springs is just three weeks away now, and it looks like I'm not going to be anywhere near as "trained up" as I can be.  For the last month or so I've been doing one interval-type workout a week and one slightly longer-distance session a week, and otherwise just paddling at medium intensity while I try to bring about some improvement in my stroke mechanics.  But this past week I was encouraged by something British track and field athlete Josh Kerr said.  I can't remember the exact quote, but Kerr, who won the men's 1500-meter run at the outdoor world championships at Budapest last summer and the men's 3000-meter run at the indoor worlds at Glasgow this weekend, was making the point that consistency is his strongest asset.  His success isn't the result of a bunch of brutal workouts, he said; he simply misses very few training days.  I'm happy to be able to say the same thing: since getting home from Florida in January I've stuck to a nice steady routine, getting in the boat four times a week and doing a couple of gym sessions each week as well.  It hasn't been elite-level training, but it has been a consistent effort.  I've long believed there's value in that, and reading what Josh Kerr said was a nice boost to my confidence that I'm not just wasting my time.  Maybe I'll race well at Ocean Springs, and maybe I won't, but if I don't I shouldn't beat myself up over not having "done enough."

Yesterday's paddle was mostly a steady affair, about an hour of it done in the harbor and the other approximate half-hour done out on the Mississippi.  This morning the clouds were back in the sky, and I returned to the riverfront grasping for reasons to be upbeat.  At least it was warm: the temperature was rising toward an afternoon high in the 70s.  And once I was in the boat I had a good session, maybe the best so far in terms of transferring power from my legs to my torso by way of the hip rotation.


For more information on what this blog is about, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment