Sunday, March 10, 2024

Sticking to the plan over a cooler weekend

Friday was a pretty rainy day in the Mid South, and I was happy to stay in and do a gym session.

Some cooler temperatures came in behind the rain, and I paddled yesterday under overcast skies with a Fahrenheit temperature in the low 50s.  There was a chilly north breeze blowing, too--definitely not the kind of day that makes me want to sink my teeth into the business of paddling.  But I sank my teeth anyway, cranking out a decent 90-minute session.  I did it all in the harbor except for a brief loop out onto the Mississippi at the harbor's mouth.  The harbor is pretty much the same kind of water I'll be racing on at Ocean Springs just two weeks from now.  I spent the middle hour (0:15 to 1:15) pushing the pace fairly close to what my race pace should be down there.

The sun finally came out late yesterday, but the temperature remains cool today.  It wasn't 50 degrees yet when I got to the river this morning.  I've long considered 50 degrees my threshold for pogies: if it's colder than that I use them, and if it's warmer, I don't.  Today I decided to go without since it was sunny, not terribly windy, and presumably getting warmer.  It worked out fine.  I paddled a calm 60 minutes, encouraging my body to relax after yesterday's effort.

Daylight Saving Time has begun here in my part of the world.  I set all my clocks forward before going to bed last night, meaning I lost an hour of sleep and now have to adjust to an "earlier" wake-up time.  It never fails to throw me out of whack for a few days, but it'll be nice to have some daylight later in the day.


For more information on what this blog is about, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment