Monday, March 4, 2024

Monday photo feature

I shot this photo of one of the purple martin houses at the marina on Saturday.  I'd noticed earlier in the week that there were several birds there, and I thought it seemed rather early: I think of purple martin season as more like April through July.  But I vaguely remember my friend Joe telling me something about "scouts" coming in advance to get the house ready before the rest of the family arrives.  Joe is not only a paddler but also the owner of a home on the Memphis riverfront, and over the years he's built up a strong hobbyist's knowledge of the bird life down there.

So... spring is on its way.  Warm temperatures over the weekend are evidence of that, and before long we'll have a bunch of noisy birds flying around the marina, too.


For more information on what this blog is about, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment