Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Sprinting for endurance

It was really cold yesterday and is supposed to be frigid again tomorrow, but we're getting a little bit of a break today, with a high of around 43 degrees Fahrenheit forecast for this afternoon.

It was only 29 degrees when I went to the river this morning, however.  But the wind, predicted to increase as the day goes on, wasn't bad, and I'll take 20s and calm over 40s and windy anytime.  I paddled for 60 minutes; my rudder was frozen at the beginning, but it took just a couple of minutes out in the sunshine for me to work it free.

Anybody who's been reading this blog for a while knows that I'm trying some new things in my training this season, based largely on research that Ron Lugbill has been sharing on his blog.  His latest post sums up nicely the sort of approach I'm taking.  Today I spent the 35 minutes from 0:15 to 0:50 doing 30-second sprints with three and a half minutes of easy paddling in between.  I got in nine sprints during this period.

No comments:

Post a Comment