Sunday, May 18, 2014

Bikesploitation!

I don't ride my bike consistently enough that I really consider it part of my training--I think of my bike mostly as a way to get around the neighborhood--but I always have a great time when I take off on a longer tour through this great city.

Here in Memphis yesterday we had one of the more interesting festivals you'll find anywhere.  The Bikesploitation festival is a celebration of all things bicycle: artwork from bike parts, bike polo, BMX demonstrations, live music (I watched one band in which two guys with drums, horns, kazoos, and other instruments mounted on bicycles did really interesting covers of famous songs), and a series of bike-themed short films.  Of course, festival goers were strongly encouraged to ride their bikes to the event (there was a bike valet service on site), and for me that meant a pretty lengthy ride from my home in the middle of town to the festival grounds overlooking the Mississippi River below the Frisco and Harahan bridges.  I rode through several parts of town I'd never really seen before.

No comments:

Post a Comment