Thursday, May 1, 2014

Hanging in there with the back soreness and the tough K1 learning curve

The stiffness and soreness in my upper back persists.  I'm at a loss for what to do other than what I'm already doing: using active recovery methods but trying not to put extreme stress on it.  I'm putting together a new strength routine with the help of an exercise physiologist friend, but I'm really easing into it.

This week I paddled with Joe for 70 minutes on Tuesday and by myself for 60 minutes today.  Today I paddled the K1 and did a "pyramid" workout: pieces of 1', 2', 3', 4', 5', 4', 3', 2', and 1' with two minutes recovery.  Because of my continuing balance struggles in the K1 and the resulting inability to paddle really hard, this workout amounted to more of a tempo session.  I think good form at a slightly lower intensity level is better than bad form at high intensity, so I concentrated on that.  Overall I think it was not a bad workout, but it was mentally frustrating not being able to paddle like I can in the surf ski.

As I left the marina I saw a mother duck with about a dozen newborn ducklings--the first hatchlings I've spotted this spring.  Sadly, a sizable percentage of these ducklings will succumb to predators before they reach adulthood, but it always melts my heart watching them at this age, swimming along after their mother.

No comments:

Post a Comment