Tuesday, May 13, 2014

K1 lessons

This morning I did two sets of the May strength routine and paddled for 70 minutes.  The harbor was calm today, so I paddled the K1.  Generally, as long as I paddle a relaxed, steady pace, I feel comfortable and confident in the boat.  Whenever I try to sprint, backpaddle, or do any kind of drills, I feel awkward and unstable.  And doing these things reminds me how un-ambidextrous I am.  As a whitewater canoeist I always paddled on the left; on the right I had power but lacked the coordination to do all the finer details of whitewater strokes.  I was also much better bracing and rolling on my left side.  The same seems to be true in kayak: my balance and coordination are much better on the left, and anytime I begin to feel tippy I instinctively brace on my left.  It's not yet clear whether I'll ever be able to race competently in this K1, but at least I'm learning some things about myself.

I'm finally getting a massage this evening.  My back continues to feel quite a bit better except for a couple of knots, and I'm hoping the masseuse can hasten their eradication.

No comments:

Post a Comment