Monday, June 5, 2017

Just a little more hard work to do

The end of the current hard training block is coming into view.  The saying goes, "If it doesn't kill you, it'll make you stronger," and I guess we're putting that to the test.

On Saturday I paddled mostly steady for 60 minutes.  I paddled both in the harbor and on the river, doing a couple of surges, but nothing extraordinary.  As always, I practiced good strokes.

This morning I did another round of the current strength routine.  I plan to do it for the last time Wednesday.

After that it was time to head down to the river.  I warmed up and did three 8-stroke sprints, paddled up the Mississippi to the southern end of the Greenbelt Park, and then turned back downstream and commenced the day's workout.  I did eight intervals of 75 seconds on, 45 seconds off, with each "on" interval done at sub-maximum intensity.  It's basically a lactic tolerance workout.  I rarely actually go lactic in these distance races I do, and that's why I do this workout only once or twice a year, but I'm hoping it might give me an edge on the 17th if I'm in a tight competition with somebody going into that last 500 meters in the harbor and I really have to hammer to the finish.

I came home from the river with that "satisfied" tired feeling.  The last hard workout planned is another session this Thursday out at Patriot Lake with other local racers.  After that I'll be tapering until race day with some short sprints and as much rest as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment