Friday, June 23, 2017

Some cross-blog promotin'; what's up with my stroke?

Chris Hipgrave, who finished second at the Outdoors, Inc., Canoe and Kayak Race last weekend, has a blog of his own: www.chrishipgrave.com.

I was honored when Chris asked me if he could re-post my race recap on his blog.  You can see it here.  While there you can watch the video Chris shot from the deck of his boat.  I appear to Chris's right for a few seconds right at the beginning, starting around 0:11.  In the later parts of the video Chris has left the likes of me behind and you can see how his duel with Mike Herbert unfolds.  Chris's speed (in kilometers per hour) and heart rate are also on display.

One personal note: in that brief footage of me up at the start, it looks like I might not be getting my left-side blade fully immersed.  This seems to be a recurring problem for me: once in a while I'll become aware of it and focus on correcting it, but by and by the habit seems to return.  If there are any coaches reading this who'd like to watch that footage and tell me what they think, I'd be grateful.

3 comments:

  1. My coach told me that my hand should almost touch water, so I always look for that. It was for K1, maybe surfski is little bit different.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I think when I'm doing it right my hand touches or comes very close to touching water. I just wish I could get the full immersion ingrained enough that I don't have to think about it any more.

      Delete