Saturday, May 26, 2012

Less is more

Back in Memphis yesterday, I did six laps of the May strength circuit and paddled for 80 minutes.

I met Meghan at the marina and we paddled together for 35 minutes.  After she left I did four pieces in the harbor from the monorail bridge to the Hernando DeSoto Bridge (a little less than 500 meters).  In the first couple of pieces I paddled as hard as I could with a high (for me) stroke rate; my times were 2:05 and 2:03.  For the third one I decided to back off the stroke rate and take longer, smoother strokes, and my time was 1:59.  I did the same in the fourth piece, and clocked about 2:01.

It was a reminder that paddling harder and faster does not always produce faster times.  Keeping the boat running smoothly, without bobbing up and down or rolling side-to-side, is crucial to making it go fast, and paddling so hard that you lose control of those things is counterproductive.

Meanwhile, I felt quite tired yesterday even though I'd just had several relaxing, low-intensity days at Calico Rock.  I checked my weight and I was three or four pounds below normal... hmmm.

No comments:

Post a Comment