Thursday, May 3, 2012

Looking forward to my biggest races

Today I did three laps of the May strength circuit.  My hamstrings and quad muscles have been sore since Tuesday because of all the lunges in this new circuit.

Then I went down to the river and paddled for 105 minutes.  I spent the first half of the session paddling up to the mouth of the Wolf, and much of that time I felt really tired from the strength workout.  But I was starting to find a groove by the time I got to the Wolf.  Upon reaching the Wolf I did a set of eight intervals of 2 minutes on, 2 minutes off.

I have two pretty intense races coming up in June: the Arkansas River Canoe and Kayak Race at Little Rock on June 2 and the Outdoors, Inc., Canoe and Kayak Race here at Memphis on June 16.  Both races are significantly shorter than the races I have done so far this season (5.5 miles at Little Rock, 3 miles at Memphis).  And in neither of these races will I be the favorite to win.  I will have to race extremely well just to finish in the pack among some very respectable competition.

So as I train in this next month I will have a couple of main objectives for these races: to go hard off the starting line for as long as I can before I settle into my mid-race pace, and to withstand the lactic burn as I hammer the last mile or so to the finish.  My workouts will emphasize speed and lactic endurance, and I will continue to maintain my aerobic base in the meantime.

No comments:

Post a Comment