Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Last workout before my next race

This morning I did two sets of the April strength routine and then met Joe down at the dock.  We stayed in the harbor again today, paddling for 80 minutes and doing a set of ten 30-second forward sprints with full recovery.

30-second pieces are long enough to make the body produce some lactic acid, but short enough that there shouldn't be too much wear and tear on our bodies ahead of this Saturday's race (Joe will be racing at Vicksburg in a tandem kayak with his wife, Carol Lee).  Like I said before, I've been trying to get in some faster pieces so that on Saturday my body can turn over at a suitable rate for 22 miles and not feel like it's working too hard.

This week I received my copy of Canoe News in the U.S. Mail.  Canoe News is the magazine that the United States Canoe Association puts out three or four times a year, and this issue contains an article written by yours truly.  I wrote up something about the nine-day stretch last June that included the Outdoors, Inc., Canoe and Kayak Race here at Memphis and the USCA's Aluminum Nationals on the White River in Arkansas several hours from here.  Yes, I know last June was quite some time ago, but the lady who puts Canoe News together spent a big chunk of last year going through cancer treatment, so I think her tardiness can be forgiven.

Anyway, if you would like to get your own copy of this issue of Canoe News, you must join the USCA.  Happily, it's very cheap to do so--a mere $20 for a year of standard ("governing") membership.  Go join up, and they'll mail Canoe News right out to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment