Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Relax = boat go fast

I did a low-intensity 100-minute paddle in the harbor this morning, recovering from yesterday's workout.  I paddled and chatted with Joe, whom I've seen a bit less of this season because of all the crazy stuff I've got going on.  It was nice to catch up.

The wind was really blowing from the south today.  I had to make myself relax and not fight it.  Right now the forecast for Saturday in Vicksburg calls for some pretty good wind, so relaxation practice is good.

Speaking of relaxation and recovery... it's been a while since I've mentioned the concept of a "recovery session."  When I first read about the idea on Ron Lugbill's blog several months ago, I was all excited because it was the perfect use for the hot tub in my backyard.  But a short time later I found myself being hit with a divorce, and with that came displacement from the house and discontinued access to the tub.

But you don't have to have a hot tub to do a decent recovery session.  I do have an ordinary bathtub where I live now, and lately I've been trying to get in one or two good soaks, followed by some stretching, each week.

No comments:

Post a Comment