Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Pace workout

Today I did two sets of the April strength routine and paddled for 100 minutes.

I paddled down to the mouth of the harbor and then up the river along the Tennessee bank.  When I was 40 minutes in, I began my workout for today: eight intervals of three minutes on, three minutes off.

I did the first interval while continuing upriver, and then turned back downriver for the next several.  I'll be racing on a 22-mile section of the Mississippi down at Vicksburg a week from this Saturday, so I'm trying to get in some river time every time I paddle in these weeks leading up.  Today a pretty strong south wind was blowing, generating some chop on the river, but since there was no barge traffic it wasn't too menacing.

The fourth interval took me back into the harbor.  Paddling on calmer water with the wind at my back, I was able to concentrate more on good form.  I felt strong and fast in the fifth and sixth intervals, but by the seventh and eighth I was getting pretty tired and just trying to take good, smooth strokes.

It's quite warm today, supposedly heading for a high around 84 degrees Fahrenheit.  The turtles were out sunning themselves on floating logs in the harbor.  I do love our turtles, yessiree.

No comments:

Post a Comment