Sunday, April 28, 2013

Up and at 'em

I woke up this morning pretty sore from yesterday's racing.  I might have been tempted to spend the entire morning in my motel room drinking coffee and doing nothing in particular.  But a student I tutor in math had called me and asked if I could meet with her late this afternoon, so I got busy having breakfast and getting moving so that I could get back to Memphis with time to spare.

By 8:45 AM CDT I was down on the Vicksburg Front, where the race had finished yesterday, putting my boat in the water for a recovery paddle.  I paddled down the Yazoo to the Mississippi and continued south below the Interstate 20 bridge, then made my way back upriver along the Louisiana side.  I paddled a nice relaxed pace, trying to get a full range of motion in my strokes to work out the soreness, and enjoyed the scenery.  I think the riverfront at Vicksburg is just as beautiful as the one at Memphis, maybe even more so.

I could see dark clouds moving in from the northwest, so I decided to ferry back across the river before any lightning appeared.  As I paddled back up the Yazoo toward the Vicksburg Front it began to drizzle, and it was quickly becoming a torrential downpour by the time I was taking my boat out of the water after 90 minutes of paddling.  I owe my student thanks for getting me moving early and not ending up in the thick of that mess.

No comments:

Post a Comment