Monday, September 26, 2016

Finishing up

I completed the epoxy work by covering each of the tube ends in the cockpit with a piece of fiberglass, mostly to leave a slightly nicer-looking surface and to lock them in place a bit better:



I have a feeling that if there's a weakness in the job I've done, it's at the ends of the tubes, where I'm relying on globs of G-flex epoxy to hold them in place.  In trimming the tube ends at the stern I tried to leave as much of that epoxy there as I could while giving the rudder bracket room to move freely.  I used a slicing motion with a sharp chisel to cut off the excess tubing:



Here's how the tubes look post-trimming:



I also used the chisel to cut away the excess tubing up in the cockpit:



Not the most sightly things, I know, but they should be functional.

And now, all that was left was to re-rig the rudder.  I got out the new rudder lines that the nice folks at Epic headquarters in Charleston, South Carolina, sent me, and was quickly reminded of what a chore it is to feed them through the tubes.  I finally had success with Oscar Chalupsky's vacuum cleaner method.  The first challenge was mounting my vacuum cleaner's hose to the tube ends up in the cockpit; I finally managed it with the help of a couple of spring clamps:


The top clamp is holding the hose to the boat's foot strap, and the bottom clamp is holding a scrap of minicell that acts as a seal to concentrate all the suction through the rudder-line tube.  Sure enough, I tuned the vacuum on and fed the rudder line into the stern end of each tube, and it worked, though it took a few tries.  The line would snag from time to time, and I'd have to pull it out a little and re-feed it.  But eventually the line emerged up in the cockpit:


O praises be!!!  Then I tied the lines off at the rudder post:


...and fed them through the pedals and attached them to the tension adjuster:


I'd forgotten how tedious this process is--getting the pedals adjusted the way I like them, getting the right tension in the lines, trimming off the excess line without cutting away too much... whew.  I'm glad to have this job done.

Of course, I can't truly pronounce the job done until I've put the boat in the water and paddled it.  I already have one worry: the rudder is a bit sluggish in its response to the pedals.  The reason is that there's some slack in the tubes where they detour around the seat bucket.  I really couldn't avoid this problem because of my limited reach from the hole I cut in the boat.  I plan to paddle the boat tomorrow and I'll know then whether this is an issue I can live with.

Anyway, I thank everybody who has read this series of posts and I hope this information will be useful as you strive for a satisfying relationship with your boat.

No comments:

Post a Comment