Thursday, September 8, 2016

Summer keeps the heat on

Hot muggy weather has returned to the Mid South, albeit not as bad as what we had in July and August.  We should get another break soon, and then it'll get hot again but not as bad as it is now, and so on, until just like that we're complaining about how chilly it's getting.

I got home from the Center Hill Reservoir race Sunday evening, and took my boat back to the dock Monday morning.  I was wicked sore and I paddled easy for just a half hour, enough to get some blood flowing in all the relevant muscles.

By Wednesday the soreness had abated and I had a pretty good 70-minute session out on the river surfing a few barge wakes.  By the end of it I was tired from the hard paddling in the hot sun, but I was determined to get back out today for my last hard workout of the year: I did eight 75-second pieces with 45 seconds recovery.  It's arguably the most intense workout I do each year, intended to develop a bit of lactic tolerance for that late-race furious dash toward the finish line.

I expect there could be just such goings-on in my next race down at Jackson, Mississippi, a week from Saturday.  I think I'm going to call it a season after this race and I'd like to make it a good one.

No comments:

Post a Comment