Friday, September 16, 2016

Racing to escape stress

I'm spending tonight in Jackson, Mississippi, ahead of the Gator Bait Race on Barnett Reservoir tomorrow morning.  I've just been to the race check-in place where I filled up on some sponsored food.  I expect there will be some good competition tomorrow so I'm hoping for a good night's sleep.

I've had a rather stressful week at home and I'm glad to be away from that for a few hours.  I'm having some major renovation work done on a rental property I own and I've been dealing with some important decisions and some sizable bills.  I've always been prone to anxiety and I will be glad when this is all behind me.  It'll probably last another month or so.

I've been down to the river four times this week.  Each time I did the stuff I typically do to get race ready: some relaxed stretching and visualization; a good long warmup; and some short sprints at maximum intensity with full recovery in between.  By the end of each session I felt as upbeat and relaxed as I've felt this whole week.  Exercise supposedly releases endorphins, and I think that was working for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment