Monday, September 5, 2016

Monday photo feature


What we have here is the stern end of the tubes that contain the rudder lines for my six-year-old surf ski.  Trouble is, anything that enters the tunnels from this end will not emerge up in the footwell because the tubes are broken within the bowels of the boat.

One of the realities of participating in a small sport like paddling is that you should expect to do much, if not all, of the repair work yourself.  It's not that hard to find somebody to work on your tennis racket, or your golf clubs, or your bicycle; but for canoes and kayaks and paddles knowledgeable repair services are few and far between.

This is why I'm glad I started out in the sport as a whitewater paddler: I knew from the outset that my boat would need fixing pretty often, and I went out and acquired at least the bare minimum of skill for the job.  There's still plenty I don't know or am not good at, but I hope to arrive at a satisfactory solution to my rudder-line problem and have this boat back in service before long.

No comments:

Post a Comment