Friday, September 23, 2016

Putting in some new rudder-line tubes

Using some ropes suspended from the ceiling, I've positioned my boat at a comfortable work height:



The old lines had some useful information printed on them:


(O.D. stands for "outer diameter," and I.D. stands for "inner diameter.")

I googled Sun-Rise Polyurethane Tube and learned that it is a Taiwanese company.  That makes sense, considering that this boat was manufactured in China.  I browsed the Internet for a similar product manufactured domestically, and found tubing for sale at Grainger that was manufactured by Saint-Gobain Performance Plastics of Akron, Ohio.  I ordered some tygothane tubing in the closest British-unit size to the old tubing that they had: 1/4 inch O.D., 3/16 inch I.D.:


100 feet was the smallest quantity of this tubing I could buy.  That means I'll have plenty left over after I cut the two rudder-line tubes, each of which will be around 10 feet long.  If anybody would like some of this tubing, let me know in the Comments section and we'll talk.


I cut two lengths of tubing with a few extra inches so I'd have some excess to work with at each end.  I used a long piece of wire as a "needle" to pull the tubing into place.  I did so in two stages--from the cockpit to the hole I cut:



...and from the hole I cut to the rudder hatch at the stern:


I'd drilled a little hole through the end of the tubing through which I could insert the wire.


Now that the two pieces of tubing are in in position, it's time to cement them in place.  That'll be the topic of my next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment