Thursday, April 5, 2012

April showers

Today I did three laps of the April strength circuit and paddled for 100 minutes.

I spent the first fifty minutes paddling from Harbortown Marina up to the mouth of the Wolf River.  Then I did a "pyramid" workout: pieces of 1 minute, 2 minutes, 3 minutes, 4 minutes, 5 minutes, 4 minutes, 3 minutes, 2 minutes, and 1 minute, with 2 minutes recovery between pieces.  I did the first four pieces on the flatwater in the bottom mile of the Wolf.  The 5-minute piece took me back out onto the Mississippi, where I did the 4-minute and 3 minute pieces as well.  I was back in the harbor for the last two pieces.

Today was a beautiful day in a different way from what we've had: I paddled the first half hour or so in a light rain; up on the Wolf, there was a thin mist hanging over the water.  By the time I was heading back down the Mississippi, the southwestern sky was clearing.  When I reached the harbor and turned back north, the northern sky was still as dark as oil shale.  Very interesting.  Some of the prettiest moments of paddling I've ever had have occurred on these days of so-called "inclement weather."

No comments:

Post a Comment