Sunday, April 1, 2012

No fooling

Another month has arrived, and with it a new strength circuit:

Military press: 8 reps with a pair of 20-lb. dumbbells, then 5 reps with a pair of 25-lb. dumbbells
Torso twists with medicine ball: 10 reps each direction
Pullups: 6 reps
Leg raises while hanging from pullup bar: 10 reps
Bicep curls: 8 reps with 20-lb. dumbbells

I'm starting with three laps of this circuit, and I can already tell this one is quite a bit more taxing than last month's.  Could be bringin' the pain once I get up into five and six laps later this month.

Then I went down to the river and paddled for 100 minutes.  After a 25-minute warmup, I did four 8-minute tempo pieces with 4-minute recovery periods.  In each piece, I spent the first several minutes building up to anaerobic threshold and stayed there for the remainder.  Throughout, I tried to remain aware of all the technical things I've been working on while paddling easier: keeping the boat quiet (not bobbing up and down or rolling left and right), immersing the blade fully on every stroke, sitting up straight.

It all added up to a pretty exhausting day.  Fortunately, it was the latest in a string of incredibly beautiful days we've been having.  It's been sunny and warm, the harbor has been smooth as glass, and there's been just enough of a breeze to keep me pleasantly cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment