Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Backing off

Well, I seem to have a little injury.  I felt fine lifting weights and paddling Sunday morning, but by that afternoon I had some pain in my right pectoralis muscle.  This is an injury I've had several times in the past; I think it's just a small tear.  Having raced on top of a couple of pretty tough workouts last week, I was probably a little vulnerable, and I'll bet I hurt it lifting weights Sunday morning.

In my experience this sort of thing has healed after a few days of rest, so I'm trying to take it easy for several days.  Today I eliminated the military press and pullups from my strength routine, and did only four laps of the circuit.  Then I did an easy 75-minute paddle in the harbor rather than the interval workout that was on the schedule today.

I don't know an athlete at any level that doesn't have occasional training disruptions.  You get sick, or you get injured, or you have a death in the family... one way or another, events conspire to make sure your training doesn't go right on schedule from start to finish.  With any luck, several easy days will do me some good and I'll be ready to go again.

No comments:

Post a Comment