Thursday, April 19, 2012

Spike workout

Today I did five laps of the April strength circuit and paddled for 110 minutes.

Joe and I did what I call a "spike" workout: pieces of 3 minutes, 2 minutes, 2 minutes, 6 minutes, 2 minutes, 2 minutes, 6 minutes, 2 minutes, 2 minutes, and 3 minutes, with 2 minutes recovery.  I crushed the 2-minute pieces pretty hard, and the 6-minute pieces, though I pushed them hard too, felt like part of the recovery by comparison, because of the lesser intensity.  When I'm in really good shape I can get an occasional "rest" during the course of a race by backing off the intensity just a tiny bit, such as when I'm riding a competitor's wake.

Yesterday I did an easy recovery paddle of 40 minutes.  Also yesterday I registered for the Gator Bait Waterfest Regatta, so I guess I'm officially going to that now.  With that race this Saturday and another race the following Saturday, this two-week period is shaping up to be pretty high volume and intensity.

No comments:

Post a Comment