Thursday, April 19, 2012

Outfitting the tandem kayak, Part 8: Making the neoprene hatch covers

I'm sorry I've taken so long to get another project post up, but this phase of the project, which I figured to be relatively easy, has been a little frustrating.

Making these hatch covers is like making a sprayskirt, only simpler because hatch covers don't require any tunnel for a paddler's waist and torso.

So I found an article on sprayskirt construction here, and I made a pair of hatch covers for the tandem kayak following the method described.  But in the end, I wasn't happy with the results.

I expect this failure is due largely to my inexperience with this kind of work.  But at the same time, I've always preferred skirts whose shock cord is sewn directly onto the neoprene, and I have decided to try to make my hatch covers that way.  I have found an online article describing a method I think is within my ability, so I will post the results as soon as I produce them.  Maybe I can manage not to waste any more neoprene.

Thank you for your patience!

No comments:

Post a Comment