Thursday, April 17, 2014

A little time for everything

After spending a few weeks bogged down in myriad other projects, I've finally found time to resume work on my new workshop on the ground floor of my building.  I'm building all kinds of storage shelves and other infrastructure to get all my tools and stuff organized.

Once I get such a project started, I tend to sink my teeth in and get enthusiastic about it.  That's a good thing, but it makes it a little harder to get myself down to the river to paddle a few times each week.  This morning I was very tempted to skip paddling and get back to work downstairs.  But I made it to the river for a 60-minute session, and once I was in my boat I was glad to be devoting a little time to something I enjoy and that is important to me on a purely personal level.  I'll be back working on the workshop soon enough.

I'm almost afraid to say it because of all the relapses I've had, but my back has been feeling better in the couple of days since my massage--not cured, but better.  In the boat I gave myself a good long warmup before doing a set of my backstrokes-then-forward-strokes power-building drill: I did six of them at two-minute intervals.  Then I did some longer backpaddling pieces: I wouldn't be surprised if a bit of muscle imbalance is partly responsible for my back discomfort, so it seems worth a try to incorporate a little more backpaddling into the routine for a while.

Now, at lunchtime, it seems to be clouding up a bit, but it was a lovely morning to paddle.  The Fahrenheit temperature was in the mid 60s with bright sunshine and only a mild breeze.

No comments:

Post a Comment