Sunday, April 27, 2014

Let's all get wet

Heavy thunderstorms were in the forecast for later today, so I went on down to the river fairly early.  Even so, I paddled for 60 minutes in a mild but steady rain.  I enjoyed it.  Our culture seems to think rain should be avoided at all costs ("That guy doesn't have the sense to come in out of the rain!"), but I think people who don't spend a little time in the rain at least once in a while are depriving themselves of some rich experiences.

There was some lightning in the area, so I stayed in the harbor where I would be less exposed.  Though the water was pretty calm, I paddled the surf ski because I didn't know what might blow in during the hour.  I did six of my back-strokes-then-forward-strokes power drill, and then did some longer backpaddling pieces.  I'm starting to get pretty good at going backwards in the surf ski.  There was one time when I let the rudder make a sudden turn and I almost flipped, but other than that I felt I was in good control of the rudder.

No comments:

Post a Comment