Sunday, April 20, 2014

Strength, balance, control

Today was another beautiful, warm, calm day, so I paddled the K1 again, for 60 minutes.  Having less than full confidence in my stability in this boat manifests itself in a couple of ways: first, I can feel in my forearms, biceps, and shoulders that I'm using my arms more even though I'm trying hard not to; and second, there's more "kerplunk" when I insert the blade in the water, a hint that I'm probably leaning on my strokes for stability too much.

But I otherwise felt reasonably good in the boat today.  I spent the half-hour from 0:15 to 0:45 doing some tempo pieces of five minutes or so each.  I tried to keep the stroke rate moderate while putting a lot of power into each stroke.

My strength training has lagged a bit as I've been to two races and dealt with this upper back stiffness, but I'm trying to get a new routine started up.  I'm still doing those exercises from that You Tube video that my friend Muril told me about, and I've added in several other exercises that target that area that an exercise physiologist friend showed me.  I did a round of all these before I went to the river this morning, and I plan to continue these plus a couple of things for other parts of the body for the next few weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment