Sunday, March 3, 2013

First race in the books for 2013

The fourth annual Battle on the Bayou canoe and kayak race took place yesterday, and I finished third overall.  German native Christian Maßow (pronounced "massow") edged the tandem surf ski paddled by Phil Capel of the greater Little Rock area and Brad Rex of Baton Rouge for the win.

I had spent much of the race trading wake rides with these two boats and had even led for short periods, but I faded in the last four miles or so and finished some thirty or forty seconds back.  Could have been the exhausting events of the last several weeks catching up with me, or maybe these other two boats were just better.  Either way, it was fun to be racing again after a long offseason, and with luck any lessons I learned yesterday will be to my benefit in the future.


Race director Nick Kinderman says the results will be posted in a couple of days, and I'll link to them here when they are.  Nick and his team of volunteers did an outstanding job making this event happen.  Some balmier weather would have been nice, but I think it otherwise was the best Battle on the Bayou yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment