Friday, March 22, 2013

Our latest winter blast

All this week our local TV weatherpeople went on and on about the wintry misery that was to arrive here right about now.  As usual, the hysteria was overblown.  While the northernmost reaches of this TV market might have gotten up to an inch of snow, most of the region has experienced little more than overcast skies, coldish (mid 40s Fahrenheit) temperatures, and periods of light rain.

I'm not saying I like the weather we're having now; I'm as weary of this gray winter as anybody.  But for nonmeteorological reasons this has been, arguably, the crappiest, most depressing winter of my life, so if Mother Nature wants to send a few more bleak days our way, who cares?  Bring it on.

So after doing two sets of the March strength routine, I headed down to the river.  And it turned out to be a pretty good day to paddle.  Sure, it was rather cold, but I was dressed for it.  And with little wind, the session did not feel like an ordeal at all.  I went out on the river and paddled about a third of the way up the Loosahatchie Chute, one of my favorite places no matter what the weather is.  A light drizzle began to fall and the place became shrouded in mist to the point that I could barely see the downtown skyline even though it was never out of my line of sight.  The river is rarely more beautiful than it is on days like today.

All told, I paddled for 100 minutes, and felt surprisingly good in the boat given Wednesday's long, hard session.  I am tired now, but it's a nice feeling to have gotten out on a day when it was very tempting to skip it.

No comments:

Post a Comment